Intermedite System to Intermediate System(IS-IS) is a Interior Gateway Protocol(IGP) similar to OSPF. IS-IS attempts to find the most efficient route for data-grams using the Dijkstra's algorithm. It is commonly used within large ISPs for backbone routing.
- IS-IS is a link state protocol
- IS-IS is a layer 2 protocol
- IS-IS build a database and topology of the network via link flooding
- IS-IS is not commonly supported on rack type switches.
- IS-IS is intended for use within Autonomous Systems